A Stressless Job Interview
The first thing that goes through your head when you are walking into your first job interview is, "Don't mess this up." The pressure of having a strong job interview is very high. It is vital to succeeding in a career, and it shows what kind of person you are. The steps to success in a very strong job interview are simple and effective.
What would happen if you walked into the office, and did not use these ideals for success? Then many things could happen. Such as, loss of a good job, self-confidence issues, loss of respect, and good work ethic. There is a lot of weight on your shoulders during a job interview. Keeping your cool and understanding the ideals for success are going to make your interview as solid as a rock.
My own story, which is where I learned most of my tactics, was of my job interview at Publix. I prepared myself with the following essential tasks: I was dressed in nice clothing, I wore a white button down shirt and a vest with dress pants and shoes. The night before, I showered and made sure my personal hygiene was kept clean and odor free. I shook the interviewer's hand the moment I saw him and made eye contact with him as I stated my name, age and interests. I sat down in the chair across from his desk, while keeping an upright posture and keeping my arms and hands on my lap. I continued to make eye contact every time he spoke. I did this to show him that I was not only listening, but understanding and comprehending everything he had to say. I spoke in a very firm voice, keeping any stuttering and uses of the word "uh" to a minimum. I told him why I wanted the job and what I had experienced in the past. After we finished talking, I stood up and shook his hand, thanked him for interviewing me, and left the building.
A good first impression will create a cornerstone to the rest of your career at that job. It will create a strong relationship with your new boss, and prove to him what kind of a person you are before they ever see you work. I shook his hand and made eye contact with him. It built this sort of respect between us. I showed him that I was not scared, and that I was serious about wanting him to hire me. Later he had told me, that in doing that, I had put myself above everyone else he had interviewed that day. Making yourself stand out above the rest is key to getting any job. By doing the things above, you can make yourself more desirable by the company and almost guarantee you will be hired.
The relationship you gain from a good interview will allow you some leeway in the future. For instance, I was late one day. Instead of getting written up for it, because of my interview, he told me not to worry about it and that he would overlook it. Every boss is different, and you might not get as relaxed of a boss as I did. But, it never hurts to try and impress your future boss, and gain some respect along the way.
The way you go about your interview will provide everyone around you an example of your work ethic. Since I was calm and collected during my interview, I showed my boss what kind of person I was. Based off what I told and showed him about my work history and my experiences in the past, I would set an example of my work ethic. If you can impress your boss with a good work ethic, you will not only get hired, but you will be more likely to get a good raise or promotion in the future.
The key element here is to have confidence. In yourself, in the company or person you go to work for, and in God. Pray and ask God will grant you favor with the person interviewing you and that you will be able to succeed in a solid job interview. Trusting that God is in control of your outcome and that He will take care of you was a huge factor of why I was so confident during my interview. I did not worry or stress. I knew that God was going to give me what was best for me, and that He was also going to give me the desires of my heart. "Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your heart’s desires." Psalm 37:4 The Holy Bible, HCSB. Harrison Christian Publishing, 2017. Print.
First impressions are key to a strong career. The relationship you gain from a good interview will help in the future, and it will prove what kind of a person you are. Your interview is only as strong as you make it. A job is only what you make of it. If you want a strong career, then you can make it a strong career by following these simple tips. If you just want a fast money making job, then these ideals are not for you. I hope this helps you with interviewing for a job, and I hope God blesses your next interview.
Comments
Post a Comment